For more than 35 years, the SAIA has been developing safety guides for the aerial platform industry. The Scaffold & Access Industry Association is one of over 220 American National Standard Institute (ANSI)-Accredited Standards Developers that develop American National Standards. The SAIA serves as Secretariat for the A92 series of standards.
The SAIA is responsible for adhering to the policies and procedures outlined in the ANSI Essential Requirements, which govern the consensus development process.
The ASC A92 manages and maintains the following standards:
- 2 for Vehicle-Mounted Rotating and Elevating Work Platforms
- 3 for Manually Propelled Elevating Aerial Platforms
- 5 for Boom-Supported Elevating Work Platforms
- 6 for Self-Propelled Elevating Work Platforms
- 7 for Airline Ground Support Vehicle-Mounted Vertical Lift Devices
- 8 for Vehicle-Mounted Bridge Inspection and Maintenance Devices
- 9 for Mast-Climbing Work Platforms
- 10 for Transport Platforms
The ASC A92 is in the process of approving the following standards:
- 20-201X – Design, Calculations, Safety Requirements and Test Methods for Mobile Elevating Work Platforms (MEWPs) – Approved by the A92 Main Committee, but received 6 appeals during the Appeals Period. Three of the appellants have requested hearings. The first hearing was conducted on 10th of November, and the second was conducted on the 21st of December. The Appeal Panel members in both of these hearing found the SAIA, as the A92 Secretariat, and the A92 Committee created the proposed A92.20 in accordance with the A92 accredited procedures. The third hearing was conducted on January 12, 2018. The appeal panel members have 30-days to render a decision. Based on the decision, the proposed standard could either be sent to ANSI for approval, or be sent back out to the committee for further review.
- 22-201X – Safe Use of Mobile Elevating Work Platforms (MEWPs) – Approved by the A92 Main Committee. Waiting on appeals of A92.20.
- 24-201X – Training Requirements for the Use, Operation, Inspection, Testing and Maintenance of Mobile Elevating Work Platforms (MEWPs) – Approved by the A92 Main Committee. Waiting on appeals of A92.20.
The ASC A92 Main Committee consists of 90 member companies and organizations who have been appointed based on their technical, safety, and related industrial expertise. The committee meets annually to review current issues, establish policy and procedures relative to the consensus standards, and evaluate the development activities of each subcommittee.